As a journalist I was part of a two-person reporting team that uncovered financial mismanagement and persistent Sunshine Act violations in the wealthiest school district in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. During the project I made extensive use of the state’s open records law and pursued several Right-to-Know requests through successful appeals. Our year-long investigation prompted taxpayers to attend public meetings by the hundreds and demand changes to school district operations. It also led to the restoration of art and music classes for elementary school students. Here are a few key stories from the investigation:
- Leaked audio: Manheim Township school board conspired to deliberate privately on superintendent search
- Manheim Township school board faces mostly hostile crowd of more than 320
- After tax hikes and school cuts, Manheim Twp. School District has $25M surplus
Our investigation earned Pennsylvania’s most prestigious newspaper honor, the G. Richard Dew Award for Journalistic Service, along with several other awards, including 2017 Best of Show for Writing (PAPME), 2017 1st Place for General News Reporting (PAPME), 2017 1st place in General News Reporting (PWPA), and the 2016 Truth in Finances Award (PICPA).
Freelance writing & consulting
I am available to be hired for grant writing, digital media consulting and research services.
As a freelance writer, I contribute to various outlets on topics including gender, sports, media and science. Here are some recent examples:
- Curiosity and presence: A conversation with filmmaker Jennifer Crandall | Images & Voices of Hope| October 23, 2017
- Cyclist Ayesha McGowan is pedaling towards history | Excelle Sports| September 11, 2017
- How podcasters are reshaping the conversation on being Muslim in America | Images & Voices of Hope| June 26, 2017